What are remote internships?
Remote internships are a valuable way to obtain meaningful work experience from anywhere in the world! With individuals seeking more workplace flexibility, remote internships allow you to choose how you work. Working remotely allows you to work from your personal computer without the formal office setting.
We, at Remote Internships work with many companies to offer you meaningful work experience no matter where you are. Additionally, we offer you guaranteed placement with one of YOUR top ranked internship choices. Learn more about how Remote Internships works here.
Why intern remotely?
There are many reasons why our interns have chosen to intern remotely over the years:
- Many of our interns are globetrotters and who are always on the go. Remote internships allows for them to maintain their lifestyle while having a job that can keep up.
- Interns want to obtain valuable work experience but have other commitments that require that they stay home.
- Interns have medical limitations preventing them from being able to take on an in-person internship.
What type of candidates are accepted to the program?
All applicants must either be enrolled in a degree program or have successfully completed one. We are looking for candidates who have exhibited a strong academic record and have challenged themselves with extra-curricular activities.
What is included in the tuition fee?
Our tuition fee includes:
- Guaranteed placement at one of YOUR top ranked internships.
- A one-of-a-kind remote internship experience.
- A 12 month subscription to SkillShare to build your skills.
- A custom career analysis and guide based on the skills you have today, and the skills you will need to land your dream job as well as hand-picked training via SkillShare to get you on track.
- Career Coaching sessions.
- Tailored mentoring from our career coaches to help your resume and cover letter stand out.
- A reference letter from your internship.
What are the language requirements?
The only language requirement is English. However, having a second language is always an asset!
Will I require a visa to intern remotely?
No, you will not require a visa to complete a remote internship.
Why complete a remote internship versus an in-office internship?
There are many advantages to completing a remote internship:
- As global trends point to companies moving towards a flex-work policy and, as international mobility is at an all time high, the ability to work remotely becomes an in-demand skill and demonstrates digital-literacy.
- Working remotely also demonstrates to a prospective employer that an employee is organised, a self-starter and responsible. An employee who works remotely and completes valuable tasks without constant supervision demonstrates reliability.
- Remote internships help you develop concrete skills that will help strengthen your resume.
- Remote internships allow you to manage your own work schedule.
- An internship will allow you to expand your network.
- You will obtain international experience, and references working at a company across the globe from anywhere in the world!
- You will gain new technical skills.
- Your remote internship may lead to a full-time job upon completion.
What will I need to get started?
You will need the following:
- A secure high-speed wi-fi connection.
- A computer (desktop or laptop).
- A video camera.
- Headphones with a built in microphone.
If I am in the city that my internship in located in, may I work from the office?
While interning remotely through Remote Internships does not prevent this, we always recommend first discussing a visit with your internship supervisor!
How will I communicate with my internship supervisor and team?
You will be able to communicate to your team and supervisor via their chosen platform. For video conferences the companies we work with often use Skype, Zoom or Google Hangouts. For standard communication they may use Slack, Microsoft Messenger or Google Hangouts. Each company will favour different software.
How does the application process work?
1. Apply Online
Complete the online application.
2. Consultation with your Admissions Counselor
An Admissions Counselor will contact you a few business days after submitting your application for a consultation. We will work with you to understand your professional goals and interests to identify the best remote internship opportunities for you!
3. Review Internship Opportunities
You will receive your personalized Internship Placement Offer within a week of the phone consultation, which will detail the internships you qualify for within our network. If you’re interested in securing one of the listed positions, you may commit to the program by placing a deposit within 7 days of receiving the offer.
This deposit is fully refundable in the event that we are unable to place you in an internship.
4. Confirm your Spot in the Program
Once you’ve committed to the program, our Placement Team will send your profile directly to our corporate partners for final review. This process takes between 3 to 6 weeks depending on the time of the year. We may require additional interviews, which our team can help you prepare for.
5. Secure an Internship
After you’ve secured an internship with a company, you will receive a Pre-Internship Packet with details about your internship role, your supervisor’s contact information, and balance payment information. To secure your internship, complete the balance payment of the program fee within 10 days of receiving this packet, or 30 days prior to your internship start date, whichever is sooner.
6. Get Ready for your Internship!
Once we’ve received full balance payment, you can begin to prepare for an amazing and fulfilling trip abroad! Details of your arrival and a schedule of events are included in the Welcome Packet.
Is this program open to applicants worldwide?
While visa requirements may vary from passport-to-passport, we accept applicants worldwide. In fact, we have worked with interns from over 40 different countries!
Are internships available for all position types and industries?
Remote Internships has formed partnerships with organizations in a wide variety of industry sectors. We aim to provide opportunities in all major professional fields and industry sectors. If you would like to pursue an internship that isn’t listed in our general internship sectors, please communicate this to your Admissions Counselor during your initial consultation.
How many hours a week will I be expected to work?
Work schedules vary from one company to another. Your precise work schedule and hours will be determined with your employer. One of the great things about Remote Internships is the flexible nature of the work. While our internships are typically full-time and 30-40 hours per week, our partner companies are here to help you succeed and can work with you should you require fewer hours of work per week.
Will I receive a reference letter from my internship?
Yes. Generally speaking, interns that complete an internship through Remote Internships can receive reference letters from their host company. After successfully completing your internship, we can work with you to request a reference letter from your supervisor. Reference letters are a great addition to your professional portfolio!
Will my internship lead to permanent employment?
While there are no guarantees, many of our partner companies have offered an intern full-time employment after their internship. We highly encourage our partner companies to hire Remote Internship interns either remotely or domestically. These arrangements, however, occur independently of the Remote Internships program.
How long will my internship last?
The length of your internship is flexible. While our standard internships last over the summer from 2 to 3 months, we can work with you to customise the duration of your internship to your needs.
Which company will I work for?
If accepted to the Remote Internship program, you will work with an Admissions Counselor to identify which internships are best for your specific career goals. Remote Internship guarantees placement at one of your top ranked internships. However, we are not able to guarantee placement to a specific internship. Final hiring decisions are made by our business partners based on their internal hiring guidelines and review.
Can I obtain credit for this internship?
Many of our interns intern for credit. Please note, however, that you must always verify with your university to make certain credits can be obtained and that we cannot guarantee that your internship will lead to credit. We will however work with you and our companies in order to find you internships that can lead to credit acquisition.
Will I be paid during my internship?
Most of our internships are unpaid and Remote Internships does not charge businesses to use our placement service. This approach allows us to work with the highest quality organizations. The real value of the internship is in the benefit it provides to your resume. Having internship experience will help you land a higher level job after graduating. Studies have shown that students with relevant internship experience make $10,000 more per year at their first job.
Is my deposit refundable?
A deposit is required to join CareerUp. This deposit comes with a 100% money-back guarantee in the unlikely event that we are unable to place you with one of your pre-approved internships. Due to the extensive work required to provide our recruiting and career coaching services, we are unable to refund your deposit if you choose to cancel your participation.
After placing a deposit, when is the balance of the program fee due?
The remaining balance of the program fee is due up to 7 days after we secure you a placement at your dream internship.
Is there an installment plan for tuition payments?
Remote Internship offers flexible installment plans that allow you to divide your tuition into smaller payments. This makes it easy to pay for the program over time. If accepted to the program, please discuss this option with your Admissions Counselor.